Projects

×××
A place to see my current work, and some of the insights I might share
  • Plumbing Hot Water and Sink


    I’m using Pex type A for waterlines.  To make a connection you slip a plastic ferrule over the end of the pipe and using an expanding tool, expand the pipe and slip it onto a fitting.  It will shrink to the fitting and make a water tight connection.  The first picture is a shot of connections under the sink, the second is plumbing the hot water heater.

  • Refinish Tub


    I refinished the tub with an epoxy called Ekopel 2K

  • Waste Tanks


    These early trailers never had separate grey water tanks. Back then it was ok to dump the gray water out on the ground. Today that is unacceptable so I ordered a grey tank that would fit where the old black water tank was.

    This is a drawing of a tank I ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply with the fittings I wanted them to install.

    I spaced the tank about one inch below the floor at the back of the trailer so that the fittings would line up with holes in the cross members. To hold the tank in place I mounted 2″ straps and ratchet type cinches.

    I ordered a dual valve setup by Valterra. The main valve comes up on the inside at the very back and drains the grey tank and the small one drains the black tank from underneath the back bumper.

    The black tank is mounted on top of the floor in the bathroom cabinet. I will install a marine toilet that macerates (grinds) and pumps into the tank.

  • Instant Hot Water


    Given the size of the bathtub I installed a tank-less water heater and as long as I have propane and a water supply I can generate continuous hot water. The original opening was too large so I made a patch panel out of Alclad aluminum and installed the new heater.

    KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA
    KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA
  • New Flooring


    I decided on Marmolium because of its durability and that the color goes clear through the wear layer. This was too ambitious for me so I hired Applied Surfaces Technology, Inc. here in Lewiston.

    They first put down 1/4″ plywood underlayment to help even out the sub-floor. Then the flooring.

    I made a digital copy of the Trade Wind Logo and had them inlay it in the entry.

  • Exterior Vent Caps


    I decided to replace the existing vent caps along with the new vent pipes. I ordered three from Vintage Trailer Supply.

    First I had to remove the old ones that were caked with silicone sealant.

    I removed the old vent pipe and carefully scraped off as much of the silicone sealant as I could then lightly wire brushed the area. I placed a short piece of pipe in the opening to help locate the new cap.

    I trimmed the cap so it wouldn’t overlap the trailer seam, drilled a hole in each corner and ran a bead of parbond sealant around the underside and riveted it on. I put tape 1/8 inch away from the edge of the cap and spread sealant around the edge.

    The tape helps control the sealant and leaves a clean look.

  • Vent Pipe Cover


    Since lowering the bathtub, the original vent cover isn’t long enough so I decided to make a new one out of the left over fiberglass I have.   I made the form out of birch plywood, applied a mold release, two coats of gel-coat and laid up two layers of fiberglass mat leaving the excess hanging over the edges.

    Trimmed the excess off with my table saw and miter box.  I had to tear apart the form to release the part from the mold. Oh well, I didn’t need it anymore.  The new cover next to the old plastic one.  All that’s left is to cut it to length and fit it to the curved ceiling.

  • Painting


    Next I filled holes in the bathroom end cap and sanded it lightly before spraying a plastic primer and then a high quality latex paint.

    Now that all the old paint was stripped, I sanded the vinyl with 150 grit sandpaper to give the surface some tooth and set up my airless with Sherwin Williams (SW) extreme primer and shot a light coat.  Next I sprayed a coat of  SW  latex in their tan color which is a little lighter that the original paint.  That really brightened up the inside!

  • Stripping


    Since the rolled on paint filled up the texture of the vinyl wall covering in spots I decided to strip all the paint off.  I used the more Eco-friendly orange stripper.

    It worked well giving it a couple of hours to soften the paint and I didn’t have to wear a respirator even in the enclosed trailer.  Even after stripping, the surface varied widely in color.

  • Interior Paint


    Two owners ago they decided it would be smart to take a roller and forest green & black paint and redecorate the inside of the trailer….seemed a little dark to me.